As most of us know, the Fourth of July is celebrated because, on July 4, 1776, the thirteen colonies had claimed their independence from England following the Revolutionary War. This eventually led to the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the formation of the United States. Original Fourth of July celebrations included mock funerals representing the end of the British monarchy’s reign over the Colonies, and the birth of independence. Current celebrations are much more light-hearted, but the importance of the day is still highly regarded.
Fireworks, hot dogs, celebrations, and more… The Fourth of July is a cornerstone of American Summer holidays. There’s more to this day than meets the eye, however. To see why we, at Mobee, are so interested in Independence Day, take a look at this list of shopping fun facts we’ve crafted for you.
- 87 percent of Americans are planning on celebrating Independence Day in 2018. In addition, 93 percent of consumers ages 18-24 are planning on celebrating the holiday this year.
- In 2017, American’s were expected to spend $7.1 Billion on cookouts and picnics to celebrate Independence Day. This number has increased slightly since 2016.
- Total spending on food items is expected to reach $6.9 Billion in 2018. While this total is lower than the previous year, individuals are expected to spend about $75.35 each. This is about $2 more per person than in 2017.
- The most common celebration plans for the Fourth of July include cookouts and barbecues, fireworks, travel/vacation, and attending a parade.
- You may be wondering what all that cookout money is being spent on… we’ve got your answer, hot dogs. About 150 million hot dogs are consumed each Fourth of July weekend.
- While hot dogs are popular on Independence Day, we’ve also found that the most popular beverage is… beer! An estimated $1 billion was spent on beer on the Fourth of July in 2016. It’s a good thing A BREW-tiful Mission is available now… You can earn your honey points and pick up your Fourth of July beer supply!
- Firework spending is steadily increasing each year. In 2016 American’s spent an estimated $800 Million on fireworks/firework displays. Fourth of July just wouldn’t be the same without this colorful, loud, and exciting tradition.
- One lesser known tradition that coincidentally began in New England, is eating Salmon on the Fourth of July. We can’t help but wonder how much of expected spending for Fourth of July food will be used to purchase Salmon this year!
- About 33 Million Americans are heading out on a vacation/trip for the Fourth of July in 2017, 2 Million more people than in the previous year. Start planning your trips today so you won’t miss out on the fun.
- American flags are usually a top seller for this holiday (as expected). Most of these come from China (about $5 Million worth).
Mobee and Independence Day
We are so excited to celebrate another Independence Day with all our Bees! What are your favorite Fourth of July traditions? Share them with us in the comments below.
Seeing all of this holiday spending quantified can be intimidating at times. Luckily, you can use your Mobee rewards to help with the extra costs during Independence Day this year. Mobee is proud to help you earn the money you need to have a little extra spending money for times like these. Go ahead and splurge on a few extra hot dogs, desserts, fireworks, etc… with your Mobee rewards!