Another holiday season means another chance to create amazing DIY decorations using your Mobee rewards. Not only are these DIY projects fun activities for a date night or a night with the kids, but they’re also much more affordable because you can use your Mobee rewards. budget-friendly decorations, especially around the holidays, is something we all wish we could have more of, now Mobee is here to help. Everybody loves a little DIY Christmas fun, right?
Holiday decor helps brighten your home, front door, porch and so much more! It also adds a warm and cozy feeling to any room. Whether they’re store bought or created in your home, there’s nothing better than holiday decorations. It doesn’t feel like the holidays without this little extra magic. So, check out our favorite DIY holiday decoration ideas now.
1. Gingerbread House
A classic decoration for any home during the winter holidays is a gingerbread house. Nothing says holiday season like the smell of gingerbread paired with the look and winter-y feel of a gingerbread house. What’s more these make a great post-meal snack OR decoration for any room in your home. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gingerbread cookie mix (or ingredients to make it from scratch) – Amazon
- Cookie Decorating Frosting – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Vanilla Frosting – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Candy of your choice (optional) – Target, Amazon, Grocery Stores, Walmart etc…
- Frosting bags – Target
- Food coloring (optional) – Target, Amazon, Grocery Stores
- Baking sheet
- Display plate
Now follow these steps for a brilliant gingerbread house!
- First, you’ll need to create your gingerbread cookie mix and preheat your oven.
- Roll out the gingerbread cookie dough to 1/4 inch thickness
- Cut the shapes of the gingerbread house out. You’ll need 4 walls and 2 pieces for the roof. You can use the additional dough to cut out gingerbread men, snowmen, or additional decorations.
(image of cookie cut shapes)
- Cook the cookies based on the baking directions provided on your cookie dough package.
- Once your cookies are fully cooked, you can start building your gingerbread house.
- Put frosting on the base of your cookie and on the display plate. Stick each base of the house onto the display plate. Use the frosting to connect the corners of the house together as well.
- Decorate the sides of your house however you’d like. You can use frosting, candy, cereal, sprinkles, and more to decorate the house however you’d like.
- Decorate the roof of your gingerbread house before attaching it. You can use Cinnamon Toast Crunch to create shingles, frosting to create a design, candy to create a fun pattern, and so much more!
- Once your roof decorations have dried, you should put frosting on the top of your gingerbread house and attach the roof of your house.
- Once your roof is in place, you can add some finishing touches to your house. You may want to make frosting icicles, use powdered sugar to create a snowy effect, create a walking path on the display plate, or attach gingerbread men. The design options are endless!
Once you’ve finished your gingerbread house, you can either place it out as a decoration or set it out to let you friends and family eat and enjoy it.
2. Salt Dough Ornaments
Salt dough ornaments are a super fun and easy activity to complete with your family and friends. The best part is that it leaves you with homemade ornaments that you can hang on your tree for a very low price! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of water
- Paint – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Paintbrushes – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Glitter – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Cookie Cutters – Target, Amazon, Walmart
- Additional decorations (optional)
- String/ribbon/etc… – Target, Amazon, Walmart
Here’s how you’ll make salt dough ornaments!
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees
- Mix together the salt, four, and water until a pliable and smooth dough is formed. You’ll want to slowly add the water and and gently knead the dough to create it.
- Roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out the shapes of your choosing using cookies cutters or knives. Cut a hole in the top of each shape and place it on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake the ornaments for 2 hours at 250. Allow the ornaments to cool completely before continuing.
- Decorate your ornaments with paint, glitter, markers, or any decorative item of your choice. The decoration is completely up to you! Make your ornaments as festive as you’d like!
- Tip a rope, string, ribbon, etc… through the hole in the top of your ornament.
- You’re ready to hang your ornaments now!
In just a few easy steps, you’ll have a ton of beautiful ornaments for your tree or to use as gifts (or gift tags) for friends and family. You can also use Salt Dough to create name tags for your holiday dinner table if you’d like. It’ll leave your family a little memento to take home with them before they eat their holiday feast.
3. DIY Glitter Candles
Candles are the perfect way to warm up a room for the holidays. Buying decorative candles can be expensive, but they are a must for most homes when it comes to the holidays. Luckily, we’ve got an easy DIY project that will leave your home feeling merry and bright this holiday season. here’s what you’ll need!
- Pillar Candles – Target, Amazon
- Glitter (color of your choice) – Target, Amazon
- Mod Podge – Target, Amazon
- Crafting Brush (or paint brush) – Target, Amazon
- Clear Sealer Spray – Amazon
- Painting tape – Target, Amazon
These candles are the perfect centerpiece for your holiday meal, or a colorful decoration for your mantel. Here’s all you need to do!
- Put painting tape around the candle at the point in which you’d like the glitter to stop. It should be about 2/3 of the way up from the base of the candle.
- Use your brush and “paint” the area of the candle you’d like covered in glitter with mod podge.
- Sprinkle the glitter over the wet mod podge.
- Let the candles sit overnight to dry.
- (Optional) The following day, spray the candles with a clear sealers spray so the glitter won’t start to flake off.
Just like that, you’ve got beautiful candles to add some warmth and color to your house for the holidays. This project is so easy, you may want to create more for all year round!
4. Outdoor Lantern Display
This display is perfect for your front porch our outdoor holiday display! Here’s what you’ll need:
- A lantern with glass walls – Target, Amazon
- Ornaments – Target, Amazon
- Battery operated twinkle lights – Target, Amazon
- Ribbon – Target, Amazon
- Mistletoe/pinecones for decoration (optional) – Target, Amazon, Craft stores, etc…
Creating this easy project can be done in just a few steps!
- Open your lantern and lay or stand it so the open side is facing up.
- Fill the lantern with as many ornaments as you’d like while wrapping your twinkle lights around the ornaments and inside of the lantern.
- Close the lantern and make sure it’s standing upright. Be careful turning the lantern if you’re using fragile ornaments inside.
- Tie a bow on top of the lantern using ribbon. You can decorate the outside of the lantern however you’d like to create a beautiful holiday and rustic look.
- To make a smaller version for your house you can use the same steps but fill a mason jar with smaller ornaments and lights.
There you have it! You can use tinsel, glitter, and more to decorate the inside (or outside) of your lantern. Make it completely your own to reflect your holiday style.
5. Spoon Mini Trees
Christmas tree’s are fun, and this DIY decoration is the perfect way to get a few extra trees in your house this holiday season. Here’s what you’ll need to make a mini tree from spoons!
- Foam Christmas Tree Form – Target, Amazon
- Plastic Spoons (you’ll need about 100) – Target, Amazon, Walmart, Dollar Stores, etc…
- Spray Paint – Target, Amazon
- Hot Glue – Target, Amazon
With just a few items, you can make a beautiful mini tree. Here’s how!
- Cut the rounded part off of all of the plastic spoons (about 100).
- Spray paint all of the round part of the spoons the color of your choice. You can create a metallic look using gold or silver, or create a classic look using green or red.
- Using hot glue, glue the spoons with the rounded end facing downward starting at the base of the foam Christmas tree form. Continue going up one row at a time.
- Allow the glue to dry.
- Once dry, you can place your new decoration anywhere you’d like for friends and family to admire!
Just like that you’ve got yourself another quick, easy, and inexpensive decoration for the holidays!
6. Hot Cocoa Bar
A hot cocoa bar may not seem like a traditional decoration, but trust us, you friends and family will love it! This is another project that is completely customizable based on the things you like and want to create. Here are a few ideas to create your one-of-a-kind hot cocoa bar!
- Buy paper cups and cup sleeves. With cup sleeves you can customize them online or buy them in bulk and decorate them yourselves. You can write your guests names, a cute holiday phrase or saying, create a color pattern, and so much more.
- Add a toppings station with caramel, cinnamon, chocolate sauce or hot fudge, sprinkles, cinnamon sticks, marshmallows, fluff, etc…! The possibilities are endless for a topping bar.
- Utilize a hot beverage dispenser to make it even easier to pour hot cocoa.
- Decorate! You can buy a black or white poster board or chalk board and create a fun sign for your hot chocolate bar.
This is an easy win and a fun decoration for your friends and family all season long. Nobody will ever forget their first hot chocolate bar experience!
Decorating your house for the holidays is a tried and true tradition. There’s nothing I love more than taking out my Christmas decorations and setting my house up for the holidays. The best part of these DIY Christmas decorations is that the items needed can all be purchased at stores like the Dollar Store, Amazon, or Target and most can be purchased with your Mobee rewards!
Whether you adorn your Christmas tree with your favorite Christmas ornaments or you celebrate another Winter holiday, these decorations will brighten anyones home. So whip our your advent calendars, and don’t forget to take out your winter wreath this year because the holidays are coming quickly! Hopefully these decorations will help put you (and your home) in the holiday spirit!